Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Landis Arboretum

April 7, 2010

Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood...
It had to be 82-83 degrees today, some kind of record for April 7th....
So a good day for a ride to see trees.

The Landis Arboretum is a 548 acre private estate in Esperance NY, about 45 minutes southwest of Niskayuna off route 7. Its a living-breathing tree museum. For $5, you get to wander from dawn till dusk.....

Seriously, we chose a short loop (the Landis Trail), afterall we are still recuperating from our winter hibernation state.Check out their website: http://www.landisarboretum.org/

I took the new camera - so you get to see some visuals.....

This beauty of a tree is a European Hornbeam--really!
Its from the birch family. Its branches reach out every which way and it has a looong reach....























These trees were not marked that I saw.
But the blossom looks familiar. I am guessing its a magnolia.














These pretty little flowers were blooming wild in a terrace garden they are building.
They were under the shade of some very big eastern pines






.







But to get back to trees, I am just in awe of the blossoms trees can produce.























We were too early for the Lilacs, Rhododendrons and Crabapples.
So I guess we'll just have to go back...Next time, I wear my muck boots though -
I got my new sneakers dirty...

No comments:

Post a Comment